Skip to main content

👋 A wild pink-haired vet tech appeared! (Let's get re-introduced)

email header block
On Wednesdays We Wear Scales 🦎💅
Issue #33 - The Ultimate Roll Call: Meet Your Head Zookeeper! 👩‍🎤

A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse.

The Terrarium

Hey!

Grab your iced coffee (or Alani) and help me welcome some fresh faces, because our little community is growing fast. We have gained a whopping 120 new subscribers since last week's newsletter!

I know most of you found your way here after grabbing my Free Bug Guide, so I hope your feeder colonies are already living their absolute best lives. Because we have so many new animal nerds in the mix, I figured it was the perfect time to pause our usual programming, do a proper roll call, and introduce myself to the new members of the crew.

Featured Creature: Meet Your Head Zookeeper 🦖

Hi, I'm Kasey! If you're new around here, the TL;DR version of my life is pretty simple: by day (and mostly by night), I am an overnight emergency veterinary technician. By... well, also by night, I run Sweet Ave Zoo, where I’m dedicated to sharing the real, unfiltered, and slightly chaotic side of keeping exotic pets and invertebrates.

My home is less of a standard house and more of a fully functioning reptile room. Right now, the resident zoo crew includes:

  • Chompers, my baby dinosaur (Savannah monitor lizard).
  • Fettuccine, the gorgeous, super chill boa constrictor.
  • Gold Dust, my bright little Arizona bark scorpion.
  • Jeff, my resident GBB tarantula.
  • Azalea, my jumping spider friend.
  • Pizza, a very goofy axolotl.
  • Chicken and Finger, my duo of cane toads.

Oh, and I also have a furry sidekick, a dog named Sapphire, who patiently tolerates living in a home surrounded by scales and bugs. I am incredibly passionate about proper animal husbandry, and I don't sugarcoat the realities of what it takes to keep these unique species happy and healthy.

💡 Keeper Notes: Shedding the Myth on Feeder Bugs

Since so many of you joined the crew specifically to up your insect game with the bug guide, I wanted to drop a quick, crucial keeper tip regarding proper nutrition.

When people start keeping reptiles or predatory invertebrates, they tend to think a bug is just a bug. They buy a container of crickets, toss them into the enclosure a few hours later, and think the job is done.

But here is the golden rule of exotic keeping: Your pet is eating whatever your bugs just ate. In the keeper world, we call this gut-loading. If you feed your insects cheap, dry cardboard, your reptile is essentially eating a cardboard-flavored insect with zero nutritional value. To prevent massive nutritional deficiencies down the road, you want to feed your feeder insects high-quality, nutrient-dense diets (like fresh greens, carrots, and custom grain mixes) for at least 24 to 48 hours before they get offered to your pets.


⚡ Product Spotlight: Binge-Read the Sweet Ave Zoo Archive!

Now that you know a bit about me, the resident critters, and my gaming inventory drops, you might be wondering what else you’ve missed over the last 32 issues.

If you want to catch up on the backstory of how this whole journey started, or if you're looking for more practical, beginner-friendly breakdowns of exotic care, you are in luck. We officially host our entire newsletter catalog online!

Every single past issue is fully formatted, searchable, and completely free to read over on the platform. It's the absolute best way for all 120 of our new subscribers to jump right into the deep end with us.

[Binge-Read the Sweet Ave Zoo Blog Archive Here!]

That’s the report from the zoo celebration this week! Make sure you head over to Instagram to get your giveaway entries in before the Saturday night deadline, and good luck to everyone entering.

Before you head out, for the veterans and the newbies alike: what is the most unusual animal or bug that you currently share your home with? Hit reply and introduce your crew to me!
From my zoo to yours, stay hydrated, feed your bugs, and check your basking temps.
💚 Kasey
sweetavezoo
MY WEBSITE

Visit Our Socials

tiktok icon instagram icon youtube icon linkedin icon
Made with Beacons
Sweet Ave
Pawtucket, RI 02861
View in browser
You are getting this email because you've subscribed to sweetavezoo at beacons.ai/sweetavezoo. If you'd like to stop receiving these emails, you can unsubscribe from the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better late than never? (Plus: Feets the Tarantula!) 🕷️

  On Wednesdays We Wear Scales  A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse. Hey! I have a confession: I completely forgot it was Wednesday yesterday. Between staring at my new ring, trying to remember what day of the week it is post-vacation, and catching up on all the "Zoo Business" I missed while in Asheville, my internal calendar is officially broken. I’m blaming Engagement Brain. But honestly? Sometimes the best schedule is the one that allows for a little chaos. If you’ve ever forgotten to mist your enclosures until 11 PM or realized you’re out of feeder insects on a Sunday night, just know, I am right there with you in the trenches of forgetfulness. Featured Creature: Feets the Curly Hair Speaking of things that are patient with my busy schedule, let’s talk about Feets, my Curly Hair Tarantula (Tliltocatl albopilosus). If you want an animal that won’t hold a grudge when you’re a day late on an update, get a tarantula. Feets is the ultimate low-maint...

The tarantula that started it all... 🕷️💙

Meeting Jeff, our first joint eight-legged roommate (plus a new perk for you!) ...