Skip to main content

🩺 I just realized I've been doing this for a decade... (2016 vs. 2026!)

email header block
On Wednesdays We Wear Scales 🦎💅
Issue #39 - Decade in Scrubs: 10 Years as a Certified Vet Tech! 🩺

A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse.

The Terrarium

Hey!

Grab your iced coffee and help me welcome another wave of fresh faces to the crew! Our little corner of the internet keeps growing, so I wanted to hit pause on our usual weekly schedule and do a proper reintroduction.

While looking back at some old photos recently, a realization hit me like a ton of bricks: I have officially been a Certified Veterinary Technician since 2016!

Ten. Whole. Years.

Seeing the photo of me in 2016 right next to me today in 2026 feels completely wild. A decade in medicine changes you in the best ways possible, it gives you sharper instincts, a much cooler aesthetic, and a deep appreciation for the weird, wild world of animal care.

The Terrarium: Meet Your Head Zookeeper 🦖

For everyone who recently joined the Sweet Ave Zoo family, hi! I’m Kasey.

By day (and mostly by night), I work as an overnight emergency veterinary technician. By... well, also by night, I run Sweet Ave Zoo, where I share the real, unfiltered, and slightly chaotic reality of keeping exotic pets and invertebrates.

A decade in clinical ER medicine means I don't sugarcoat animal care. I am incredibly passionate about evidence-based husbandry, proper nutrition, and making sure exotic pets get the high-level care they deserve. When I’m not at the clinic, I’m managing my home zoo, which includes:

  • Chompers, my massive Savannah monitor.
  • Fettuccine, my super chill boa constrictor.
  • Pistachio, my grumpy desert-king Uromastyx.
  • Jeff & Azalea, my resident GBB tarantula and jumping spider.
  • Plus cane toads, an axolotl, isopods, and my furry sidekick, Sapphire the dog!

💡 Keeper Notes: What a Decade in Vet Med Teaches You

Hitting the 10-year mark as a CVT teaches you a lot about medicine, but it teaches you even more about animal ownership. If I could go back and give 2016-Kasey three pieces of advice, here is what they’d be:

1. Prevention beats emergency care every single time: 90% of exotic medical emergencies stem from improper husbandry, usually incorrect basking temps, poor diet, or wrong humidity. Dialing in your habitat parameters from day one saves your pet's life and saves you thousands in emergency vet bills.

2. Never stop asking questions: The exotic pet hobby evolves fast. What was considered "standard care" ten years ago is often outdated today. Always stay curious and keep learning!

3. Build a community: Exotic keeping can feel isolating when none of your local friends understand why you are obsessed with isopods or tarantulas. Having a supportive, educated community makes the journey so much better.


⚡ Product Spotlight: Binge-Read the Sweet Ave Zoo Archive!

If you are one of our new subscribers and want to catch up on everything we’ve covered over the last 38 issues, you don't have to miss a single thing.

We host our entire newsletter catalog live online! You can browse past issues to read about everything from building bioactive clean-up crews with isopods to dialing in triple-digit basking zones for desert reptiles and reading thermal camera scans.

It is the absolute best way to binge-read the backstories of the resident animals, catch up on clinical keeper tips, and get fully up to speed with the rest of the crew.

[Click Here to Binge-Read the Sweet Ave Zoo Blog Archive!]

Ten years in vet med down, and so many more to go! To all the new subscribers: welcome to the zoo, and to the veterans: thanks for sticking by me through every step of this journey.

Before you go, hit reply and let me know: How long have you been keeping animals or involved in your current hobby? Are you brand new to it, or are you a seasoned veteran too?
From my zoo to yours, stay hydrated, feed your bugs, and check your basking temps.
💚 Kasey
sweetavezoo
MY WEBSITE

Visit Our Socials

tiktok icon instagram icon youtube icon linkedin icon
Made with Beacons
Sweet Ave
Pawtucket, RI 02861
View in browser
You are getting this email because you've subscribed to sweetavezoo at beacons.ai/sweetavezoo. If you'd like to stop receiving these emails, you can unsubscribe from the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better late than never? (Plus: Feets the Tarantula!) 🕷️

  On Wednesdays We Wear Scales  A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse. Hey! I have a confession: I completely forgot it was Wednesday yesterday. Between staring at my new ring, trying to remember what day of the week it is post-vacation, and catching up on all the "Zoo Business" I missed while in Asheville, my internal calendar is officially broken. I’m blaming Engagement Brain. But honestly? Sometimes the best schedule is the one that allows for a little chaos. If you’ve ever forgotten to mist your enclosures until 11 PM or realized you’re out of feeder insects on a Sunday night, just know, I am right there with you in the trenches of forgetfulness. Featured Creature: Feets the Curly Hair Speaking of things that are patient with my busy schedule, let’s talk about Feets, my Curly Hair Tarantula (Tliltocatl albopilosus). If you want an animal that won’t hold a grudge when you’re a day late on an update, get a tarantula. Feets is the ultimate low-maint...

The tarantula that started it all... 🕷️💙

Meeting Jeff, our first joint eight-legged roommate (plus a new perk for you!) ...

👋 A wild pink-haired vet tech appeared! (Let's get re-introduced)

Welcome to the 120 new subscribers! Grab your coffee and let's talk shop. ...