Skip to main content

🌲 Where my love for the wild came from (Rest in peace, Dad)

email header block
On Wednesdays We Wear Scales 🦎💅
Issue #47 - For Ron: The Root of My Wild Heart 🌲🎣

A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse.

Hey,

If you noticed my absence over the last couple of weeks, I appreciate your patience more than you know.

Recently, my world came to a sudden, painful halt: my dad, Ron, passed away.

I wanted to share this photo today because it captures the absolute foundation of who I am. That’s me bundled up like a little marshmallow, sitting on the ice right in front of my dad in his camo jacket.

So much of my obsession with the natural world, he outdoor life, the deep respect for wildlife, the long days spent fishing, flipping logs, and chasing critters, came directly from him. Long before I ever put on a pair of scrubs or built a home full of reptiles and bugs, my dad was the one who introduced me to the quiet magic of the wild.

🌲 Lessons Learned on the Ice & by the Water

Growing up with my dad meant learning how to see the world differently. It meant early mornings out on the water, learning patience, and developing a deep, instinctual love for the outdoors.

He was a complex man, but his impact on my life and my path was profound. He taught me to appreciate the rugged beauty of nature and to never be afraid to get my hands dirty. Every time I step foot into the woods, cast a line, or marvel at a wild creature, I am carrying a piece of him with me.

Taking time away from work, social media, and this newsletter to process his loss and celebrate his life was necessary. Grief doesn't follow a schedule, and learning to navigate the world without your dad is a heavy, quiet process.


💬 Thank You for the Space

To everyone in this community who reaches out, reads these notes, and gives me the grace to be human: thank you. Having this space to share the real, unvarnished truth of life, both the vibrant joy of animals and the deep weight of loss, means the world to me.

There are no product links or husbandry pitches today. Just a moment to hit pause, honor the man who helped raise my wild spirit, and hold my loved ones a little closer.

If you still have your parents or the people who introduced you to your passions, give them an extra hug or give them a call today. Life moves fast, and those roots run deep.

Before I log off, hit reply if you'd like to share: Who was the person in your life that first introduced you to the great outdoors or sparked your love for animals?
Rest easy, Dad. I'll see you in the woods.
💚 Kasey
sweetavezoo
MY WEBSITE

Visit Our Socials

tiktok icon instagram icon youtube icon linkedin icon
Made with Beacons
Sweet Ave
Pawtucket, RI 02861
View in browser
You are getting this email because you've subscribed to sweetavezoo at beacons.ai/sweetavezoo. If you'd like to stop receiving these emails, you can unsubscribe from the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better late than never? (Plus: Feets the Tarantula!) 🕷️

  On Wednesdays We Wear Scales  A midweek check-in from your favorite pink-haired reptile nurse. Hey! I have a confession: I completely forgot it was Wednesday yesterday. Between staring at my new ring, trying to remember what day of the week it is post-vacation, and catching up on all the "Zoo Business" I missed while in Asheville, my internal calendar is officially broken. I’m blaming Engagement Brain. But honestly? Sometimes the best schedule is the one that allows for a little chaos. If you’ve ever forgotten to mist your enclosures until 11 PM or realized you’re out of feeder insects on a Sunday night, just know, I am right there with you in the trenches of forgetfulness. Featured Creature: Feets the Curly Hair Speaking of things that are patient with my busy schedule, let’s talk about Feets, my Curly Hair Tarantula (Tliltocatl albopilosus). If you want an animal that won’t hold a grudge when you’re a day late on an update, get a tarantula. Feets is the ultimate low-maint...

The tarantula that started it all... 🕷️💙

Meeting Jeff, our first joint eight-legged roommate (plus a new perk for you!) ...

👋 A wild pink-haired vet tech appeared! (Let's get re-introduced)

Welcome to the 120 new subscribers! Grab your coffee and let's talk shop. ...